Monday 30 March 2015

Payne Skillington and Dabbs

PSD has been a Solicitors office based in Coventry now for as far as I can remember. Latterly Payne Skillington, I know they looked after my late fathers affairs, and to a degree still do now. What legal dramas occurred there over the decades?, some we may never know!. Situated by the City's main train station on Manor road, its juxtaposed against a magnificent sixties aluminium office block that to me will always be U.N.C.L.E. Headquarters. it has now become compromised by the Friars Gate development.So it was with a tinge of sadness and most certainly nostalgia as I walked past this old Edwardian building this afternoon, the trees now cut down, the building stripped prior to its ultimate demolition, its carriage house/ formative Edwardian garage looking forlorn.
                                                         What would its occupants have viewed looking out onto the station road all those many years. The transition of steam trains to diesel electric, the building of the new station in the sixties. Boys going off to two World Wars on some far flung battlefield, and the lucky ones returning.What Kings and Queens have driven passed the very windows of this place, what film stars, the rich, the elite and the new generations full of excitement and hope.
                                                                            I have no idea at all what they are going to build on this site, something un- remarkable I am sure, as I could not make head nor tail of the Councils plans, I remain unconvinced that in the case of this particular building, that this is progress.

                               

No comments: